World Food Safety Day
Updated: Jun 15
Food Safety is Everyone’s Business
What do those who are charged to protect the safety and goodness of our food supply and those who grow, process, distribute, sell, prepare and serve our food have in common? Food safety.
Food safety is a shared responsibility among governments, producers and consumers. Each sector has their own role to play in today’s global food system, each needing to ensure the food we eat is safe and won’t harm us.
World Food Safety Day, held June 7th , was first created in 2019 to “draw attention and inspire action to help prevent, detect and manage foodborne risks, contributing to food security, human health, economic prosperity, agriculture, market access, tourism and sustainable development” according to the World Health Organization.
What can be done on World Food Safety Day?
• Ensure it’s safe - Government must ensure safe and nutritious food for all
• Grow it safe - Agriculture and food producers need to adopt good practices
• Keep it safe - Business operators must make sure food is safe
• Eat it safe - All consumers have a right to safe, healthy and nutritious food
• Team up for safety - Food safety is a shared responsibility
To learn more about World Food Safety day visit: www.who.int/newsroom/campaigns/world-food-safety-day/2020 or www.fao.org/fao-whocodexalimentarius/world-food-safety-day/about/en/