District Health Department #10 Receives Prescription for Health Grant
District Health Department #10 (DHD#10) has recently received a Michigan Health Endowment Fund grant that will provide $250,000 in funding to improve access to healthy food across its ten-county jurisdiction.
DHD#10 has identified several hospitals and healthcare systems as key partners to introduce the Prescription for Health program to patients, including:
1. Lake County: Baldwin Family Health Care
2. Kalkaska County: Kalkaska Memorial
3. Oceana County: Mercy Health
4. Wexford and Missaukee Counties: Munson Healthcare Cadillac
5. Crawford County: Munson Healthcare Grayling
6. Manistee County: Munson Healthcare Manistee
7. Newaygo County: Spectrum Health Gerber Memorial
8. Mecosta County: Spectrum Health Big Rapids
9. Mason County: Spectrum Health Ludington
Prescription for Health provides direct education to adults that have or are at a risk for chronic diseases and gives them the opportunity to purchase fresh, frozen or canned fruits and vegetables by means of vouchers. The educational session must be attended for patients to receive corresponding vouchers.
“District Health Department #10 is excited to collaborate with our local health care partners to provide their clients at risk for chronic disease a resource to consume more fruits and vegetables and improve access to healthy foods in our communities”, said Holly Joseph, Prescription for Health Program Coordinator for District Health Department #10.
The Michigan Health Endowment Fund works to improve the health and wellness of Michigan residents and reduce the cost of healthcare, with a special focus on children and seniors. For more information about the Health Fund visit mihealthfund.org.